Over the last 40 years, NUS Chinese Dance has earned a reputation for excellence as an accomplished dance group through the development and performance of a highly challenging repertoire of works, from technically demanding traditional Chinese dance to fresh and evocative Chinese contemporary pieces.
As part of a continued mission to raise the standards of Chinese dance, the dancers are given firm grounding in traditional Chinese dance aesthetics while encouraged to explore contemporary styles and choreography as part of their dance development.
Through a combination of performances within NUS and various external engagements, NUS Chinese Dance aims to foster expertise and experience not just in Chinese dance, but an appreciation for Chinese culture and to bring this unique art form to the masses. NUS Chinese Dance also regularly collaborates with overseas dance troupes, such as the internationally-acclaimed Beijing Dance Academy.
Key Past Events
- 201135th anniversary production Efflorescence with Beijing Dance Academy
- 2013NUS Arts Festival highlight Mirror.Moon
- 2014Performance at Macau International Youth Dance Festival
- 2015Performance at National Centre for the Performing Arts, China under Chun Hua Qi Shi series
- 2016Performance at Huayi Chinese Festival of Arts, presented by Esplanade, Singapore
- 2016Opening show for NUS Arts Festival, space.time.mind
Key Past Achievements
- 20122nd runners up, Overseas Category, 10th Tao Li Cup Competition, Hefei Grand Theatre, China
- 2012Group of the Year, Tan Ean Kiam Arts Awards
- 2013Production of the Year, Tan Ean Kiam Arts Awards with Mirror.Moon
- 2013Bronze award, Recipient of NUS Students Achievement Award (Arts and Culture)
- 2015Silver award, Recipient of NUS Students Achievement Award (Arts and Culture)
- 2016Production of the Year, Tan Ean Kiam Arts Awards with space.time.mind