NUS Dance Ensemble is a contemporary dance group that has earned wide recognition for their uncompromising and unconventional repertoire which incorporates ethnic elements from Asian dance fused seamlessly into dance styles such as contemporary, jazz and ballet.
Formed in 1992, the Ensemble aims to be a platform for young dancers and choreographers to gain exposure, while developing and honing their skills and techniques. Beyond that, DE seeks to re-define Asian contemporary dance with its strong grounding in tradition and culture, while remaining relevant and forward-looking, highlighting this distinctive dance style locally and abroad.
To that end, the Ensemble has collaborated with international dance companies such as the Hong Kong Dance Company, La Salle University Dance Company and Saint Benilde Romancon Dance Company in the Philippines, and has also been actively involved in outreach, participating in performances such as ITE Dance Emblazon (2015), and National Arts Council’s Got to Move (2015).
Key Past Events
- 2012Concert Tour at Manila, Philippines
- 2015Performance at National Arts Council’s Got To Move
- 2016Performance at Macau International Youth Dance Festival
- 2016Performance at Momentum, Republic Polytechnic’s Dance Festival
- 2017NUS Arts Festival Opening Show Remember When...