Established in 1977, NUS Indian Dance is a close-knit group of highly committed dancers that welcomes dancers into a dance family where growth and learning is encouraged. The group is faithfully guided by its Artistic Director and Resident Choreographer, Mrs Santha Bhaskar, a pioneer in the Indian cultural dance scene and Cultural Medallion recipient.
NUS Indian Dance pursues excellence in two styles of Indian dance – bharathanatyam and kathak – through rigorous and demanding training sessions aimed at maintaining high standards of performance. Dancers not only hone their dance skills but develop a deeper sense of self-confidence and cultural identity through their exploration of contemporary themes and concepts in every production.
Key Past Events
- 2012 The Hungry Stones in collaboration with Raka Maitra, NUS Arts Festival
- 2014Chudar – Shiva’s Fire in collaboration with NUS Indian Instrumental Ensemble, NUS Arts Festival
- 2016NUS Arts Festival highlight Sambhavna
- 2017NUS Arts Festival highlight Sambhavna 2.0
Key Past Achievements
- 2011Production of the Year, Tan Ean Kiam Arts Awards for Anweshana - The Search for Nalanda