The NUS Symphony Orchestra (NUSSO) is a youth orchestra at the frontier of Singapore’s vibrant arts scene. Known for its musical excellence, NUSSO allows NUS undergraduates of all majors to continue to pursue their passion in orchestral performance.
The Orchestra was formally established as the NUS Concert Orchestra in 1979 under the auspices of the former University of Singapore and the directorship of Mr Paul Abisheganaden. Inaugurated as the NUS Symphony Orchestra in 1995, its beginnings can be traced back to the 1920s in the form of a Chamber Ensemble.
Maestro Lim Soon Lee has been its Music Director and Resident Conductor since 1994, while musicians from the Singapore Symphony Orchestra (SSO) tutor the various sections of the Orchestra. Apart from actively bringing orchestra music to the university community and the public, the Orchestra has also performed extensively overseas, such as at the Summa Cum Laude International Youth Music Festival in Vienna.
Key Past Events
- 2013Beautiful Sunday Concert Series, Esplanade Concert Hall
- 2015ExxonMobil Campus Concerts highlight Miniatures 2015
- 2015NUS Arts Festival highlight Celebrations 2015: Homecoming
- 2016NUS Arts Festival highlight Music for Curious Minds
Key Past Achievements
- 2010Group of the Year, Tan Ean Kiam Arts Awards
- 2013First Runner-up, Summa Cum Laude International Youth Music Festival
- 2014Bronze Award (Competition), NUS Student Achievement Awards
- 2016Representing NUS and Singapore at the Festival Orchestre Giovanili (Youth Orchestras Festival)
- 2016Group of the Year, Tan Ean Kiam Arts Awards
- 2017Silver Award (Arts & Culture), NUS Student Achievement Awards