Since its inception in 1968, the NUS Wind Symphony (NUSWS) has established itself as one of the premier wind orchestras in Singapore. Boasting an illustrious history, the wind orchestra places its emphasis on creating quality music with a wide range of quality repertoire of varying difficulty – from orchestral transcriptions to modern band music.
From its humble beginnings as a military band, NUSWS has since grown from strength to strength, playing works of increasing depth and sophistication under the baton of its Resident Conductor, PBM A/P Ho Hwee Long, as well as Associate Conductor, Mr Francis Tan.
As one of the pioneering bands in Singapore, NUSWS also aims to produce world class musicians who have a fine appreciation for the arts and who will lead the arts scene both locally and internationally. NUSWS performs two concerts every year Da Capo in October featuring freshmen talents, and InTempo, Singapore’s longest running concert series, in March and has participated in several music festivals and competitions overseas.
Key Past Events
- 2010Participant and joint organizer of the first ever University Band Festival at Esplanade Concert Hall
- 2014ExxonMobil Campus Concerts highlight Little Treats for Everyone
- 2015 Megapalooza! at Supertree Grove, Gardens by the Bay
- 2015 Annual concert Da Capo X
- 2017NUS Arts Festival highlight InTempo 2017: Rise of the Transhuman
Key Past Achievements
- 2010Recipient of the NUS Student Achievement Award (Arts & Culture)
- 2011Represented NUS and Singapore at the Mid Europe International Wind Music Festival in Austria
- 20163rd place in Division 1, Singapore International Band Festival
Social Media Links
- YouTube:youtube.com/channel/UCkWDa-1HVZt5P55k5z h8nAw?view_as=public